Common Open Source Performance and Profiling Tools
BC Project: FY07-02
Date of Policy: 30 Apr 2007
Last Updated: 27 Sep 2019
This policy defines a set of performance and profiling tools and their consistent maintenance (same version and configuration) across all unclassified resources at the participating centers. Packages may have slightly different configurations due to architectural differences. These differences, however, will not affect the use of the packages. A user moving from one resource to another will not notice differences between the installations.
The suite of maintained packages consists of:
- PAPI: Consistent interface to hardware counters and events
- SCALASCA: Scalable trace analysis package
- TAU: Performance analysis of parallel applications
- PDT: Source-level auto-instrumentation
- Support for PAPI and SCALASCA
- Valgrind: Memory management analysis and profiling
The packages will be installed and maintained as part of a consistent computational environment. The Productivity Enhancement and Training (PET) Advanced Computational Environments (ACE) team will manage this consistent environment.
All information on how to access these tools is provided in BC Common Capability "Open Source Performance and Profiling Tools".