PET Special Projects (SPs)
Special Projects enable collaboration between the HPCMP and new or established academic and industry partners to solve HPCMP and DoD mission-related problems.
SPs are defined as those activities beyond the baseline PET mission when important High-Performance Computing (HPC) needs cannot be met with existing staff and resources. SPs are concentrated efforts involving teams of PET staff or subcontractors for project/sponsor-specific challenges. These projects can cover advanced complexity or higher-risk problems falling within the scope of the PET contract.
SPs are usually 1 to 12 months in duration and can be initiated at any time through a formal request to HPCMP Government leadership.
Types of SPs include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Application of HPC to critical DoD needs supporting an urgent operational requirement
- Addressing an especially challenging technical issue with HPC methods
- Working with a specific HPC code or problem that has significant impact on the DoD.
Sponsor benefits associated with initiating a SP include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The SP will be reviewed at the Special Project Board for aligning with HPCMP mission goals and DoD priorities
- PET Team monitors and ensures all milestones and deliverables
- PET Team seamlessly integrates the SP into the existing workflow, providing sponsors with HPC experts in a timely manner
Note: Special Projects are funded by the sponsor with the sponsor's organization/agency assuming the costs associated with supporting the effort.
To request a Statement of Work for SPs or request additional information, please email PET@hpc.mil.